Are you at least 16 years old and want your motorcycle driver’s licence?The specialized trainers of the Tecnic Driving School network offer comprehensive, safe and fully-customized motorcycle driving courses. Certified for over 30 years, our theoretical and practical courses will give you all the means to pass the SAAQ exams. Wait no more! Come do your motorcycle driving course at Tecnic!
The main steps of the motorcycle program
Tecnic motorcycle driving course advantages
- Experienced, patient and certified trainers.
- A program tested and certified by the SAAQ for over 30 years.
- Courses fully tailored to your training pace.
- Recent custom or sports motorcycles.
- Flexible day and evening hours, during the week or on weekends.
- Competitive prices and flexible payment terms.
The main steps of the motorcycle driver’s licence
- Preparation course for the SAAQ knowledge test
- Passing the SAAQ knowledge test
- Preparation course for driving on a closed track
- Practical training on a closed track
- Preparation course for on-road driving
- Practical on- road instruction
- SAAQ closed track test
- Final exam: SAAQ road test (11 months later)
New rules of access for 6R motorcycle riding licenceHere are the new rules of access for 6R motorcycle riding licence since December 17, 2020:
- If the person interested in obtaining a Class 6R learner's licence is the holder of a probationary licence or a Class 1, 2, 3, 4A, 4B, 4C or 5 driver's licence, he or she should not have accumulated 4 or more demerit points in his or her file and should not have been the subject of a licence suspension for at least 2 years (articles 180, 185 or 191.2 of the Road Safety Code).
- If the person wishing to obtain a Class 6R learner's licence does not hold a probationary licence or a Class 1, 2, 3, 4A, 4B, 4C or 5 driver's licence (i.e., a first driver's licence), he or she should not have demerit points in his or her file and should not have been the subject of a sanction or suspension written in the file for at least 2 years (articles 180, 185 ou 191.2 of the Road Safety Code).
For more information, you can contact the SAAQ at 1-800-361-7620.
Step 1: Preparation course for knowledge test at TecnicThe motorcycle trainers of the Tecnic driving schools offer you an optional* 3 hour theoretical class based on the SAAQ book, “Operating a Motorcycle.” Thanks to their expertise and their sound advice, they will greatly increase your chances of success at the SAAQ knowledge test.
*(This course is not mandatory, therefore some Tecnic schools might not offer it).
Educational material suggested for the course
- The manual “Operating a Motorcycle.” Essential to be well prepared for the SAAQ test.
- The SAAQ “Driver’s handbook.” Indispensable for those who do not hold a driver’s licence (Class 5), as it covers the Road Sign System and the Highway Safety Code.
Step 2 : SAAQ knowledge test
Step 2 : SAAQ knowledge testAfter following the theoretical course (optional) and going through suggested teaching material, do an online practice exam. Subsequently, pass the SAAQ knowledge exam.
Your objective: Obtain your learner’s licence (Class 6R)By passing this knowledge test, you will obtain your learner’s licence (Class 6R). This licence will allow you to drive a motorcycle, but only during the practical courses..
If you fail, you should know that the SAAQ requires a waiting period of 28 days before you can take your test again… So be ready!
Step 3 : Preparation cource for driving on a closed track
Step 3 : Preparation course for driving on a closed trackFollow a mandatory 3-hour class on the basics of driving a motorcycle on a closed track. The trainers will show you the basics of safe, cooperative and responsible driving.
Step 4 : Practical training on a closed track
Step 4 : Practical training on a closed trackAfter obtaining your learner’s licence (Class 6R), you can begin to take the practical closed track training course.
Tecnic closed track practical training coursesTecnic’s 16-hour closed track practical training is divided into 4 sessions of 4 hours each. You will learn to control your motorcycle as well as all the maneuvers on which you will be assessed during the SAAQ closed track test.
Content of our practical closed track courses:
- CF1 : Initiation
- CF2 : Cornering and taking a curve, braking in a straight line and in a curve
- CF 3 : Furthering CF2 braking
- CF4 : Furthering and perfecting, formative evaluation
Teaching material for practical courseThe driver’s handbook given to you by your Tecnic driving school will allow you to track your learning path and progress throughout the practical course (closed track and on-road).
Step 5 : Preparation course for on-road driving course
Step 5 : Preparation course for on-road driving courseAt Tecnic, the preparation course for the on-road driving course lasts 3 hours. This mandatory theoretical class will show you the basics of driving a motorcycle on the road. Our certified trainers will teach you the basics of safe, cooperative and responsible driving.
Step 6 : Practical on-road instruction
Step 6 : Practical on-road instruction
Practical on-road instructionThe 10 hours of on-road practice are divided into 5 sessions of 2 hours each. You will learn to share the road in a safe, cooperative and responsible way as well as all the maneuvers that will be evaluated during the final SAAQ road test.
Content of our on-road practical courses:
- On-road session 1: Residential areas.
- On-road session 2: Residential areas and main arteries.
- On-road session 3: Secondary roads.
- On-road session 4: Main roads or highways or both.
- On-road session 5: Downtown, main roads or highways or both.
Step 7 : SAAQ closed track road testAfter following all your practical lessons at Tecnic (16 hours in closed track and 10 hours on-road), you will be able to take the SAAQ closed track road test.
Objective: To obtain a learner’s licence (Class 6A)By passing the closed track test, you will obtain your class 6A learner’s licence valid for a maximum of 18 months.
For a minimum period of 11 months, holders of a Class 6A learner’s licence are no longer required to be accompanied by an experienced motorcyclist. However, they must respect a curfew prohibiting them from driving a motorcycle between midnight and 5 a.m. The holder is also prohibited from carrying passengers.
If you fail, you should know that the SAAQ requires a waiting period of 14 days before you can take your test again… So be ready!
EXAMPLE OF A MOTORCYCLE CLOSED TRACK TEST IN QUEBEC
Step 8 : Final road test (11 months later)
Step 8 : Final road test (11 months later)Only 11 months after obtaining your learner’s licence (Class 6A) can you make an appointment with the SAAQ to take your final road test.
If you fail, you should know that the SAAQ requires a waiting period of 56 days before you can take your test again… So be ready!
Preparation course for final test
To maximize your chances of success, the Tecnic motorcycle instructors strongly recommend that you follow the “Preparatory course for the SAAQ road test: ”
Course held on road.
Lasts from 1 to 4 hours on the same day.
Complete review of assessed maneuvers.
Perfect simulation of final test.
Choose your motorcycle well during the testBe careful! During the road test, you need to use a motorcycle that corresponds to the licence class that you want to obtain:
- Class 6A: all motocycles.
- Class 6B: motorcycles with a cylinder capacity of 400 cc or less.
- Class 6C: motorcycles with a cylinder capacity of 125 cc or less.
Final Objective : To obtain a Class 6A motorcycle driver’s licenceBy passing the final SAAQ road test, you will obtain your Class 6A motorcycle driver’s licence. It will allow you to drive your motorcycle on roads unaccompanied.
Note that to receive a Class 6A motorcycle driver’s licence, you must be 25 years and over or hold a Class 5 driver’s licence. If this is not the case, you will first receive a probationary licence valid for 24 months with two restrictions:
- No driving after consuming alcohol (zero alcohol tolerance).
- No more than 4 demerit points on your licence.