- 01 February 2021
4 steps to obtain a Québec driver’s licence
Are you a newcomer to Québec? If driving a vehicle is in your plans, you would be best to immediately begin taking steps to obtain a Québec driver’s licence.
If your planned stay in Québec is for a set amount of time only, you can get an international driver’s licence from the country that issued your current driver’s licence. Note - you will need to get this taken care of prior to your departure. This is the best solution in the case of temporary stays such as coming to Québec to work on a specific project for a set period of time.
If moving to Québec on a permanent basis, we recommend that you apply for your driver’s licence as soon as you arrive. The licence from your country of origin will only be valid for your first 6 months in Canada.
Not sure how to proceed?
Steps to follow to obtain a Québec driver’s licence
You must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be 16 years of age or older;
- Already have a driver’s licence equal to the class of licence you will be applying for (e.g., automobile);
- Reside in Québec and have received the necessary authorization to remain in Canada.
- If you meet all of the mandatory criteria, call the SAAQ (Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec) to schedule an appointment (1 888 356-6616).
Gather all of the following documents, which you will need to bring to your appointment:
- Your current driver’s licence (if the licence was originally issued less than 3 years ago, you must also show proof of residence in the country of issue).
- Proof of your right to stay/reside in Québec.
- Proof of your establishment in Québec.
- A translated version of your driver’s licence (in French or English) if the original is in a language other than one of these two.
We invite you to contact the nearest Tecnic driving school for information on refresher courses adapted to your circumstances and designed to help you quickly succeed all of the SAAQ tests and exams!
Other blog articles that may interest youTHE RIGHT DISTANCE WITH OTHER VEHICLES
DO YOU REALLY KNOW ROAD SIGNS? (1ST SERIES)
DO YOU KNOW YOUR ROAD SIGNS WELL? (2ND SERIES)
Share on Facebook